As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Who else hates dealing with raw chicken? I know when I am cutting up a whole chicken or chicken parts, I want it done as quick as possible.
One thing that can’t be denied is that buying a whole chicken is ofter cheaper than buying it pre cut. Whether you are butterflying it or cutting it into pieces, a good pair of kitchen shears are must.
Best Kitchen Shears for Cutting Chicken
When it comes for picking the best kitchen shears for cutting chicken, there are a couple of things to think about:
- Kitchen shear durability. Flimsy kitchen shears just aren’t going to do it.
- Kitchen shear material. I run mine through the dishwasher on sanitize after using them, so I prefer something that is made out of material that is high temperature safe.
- Kitchen shear style. Of course, if you are storing your kitchen shears someplace where they can be seen, you want to make sure they look nice.
- Kitchen shear ease of use. I am not a very strong person, so it is important that kitchen shears are easy to use, especially for cutting poultry.
Here are some of my favorite kitchen shears.
Best Cheap Kitchen Shears for Everything
These KitchenAid KC351OHGSA Multi-Purpose Scissors just can’t be beat, and they are great for everything, even cutting chicken.
They come in array of colors, and can be put in the dishwasher. I have had my pair for years at this point.
The only downside is over time, the plastic handles tend to get nicked, but they still work fine.
Best Come Apart Kitchen Shears for Messy Kitchen Tasks
These Kitchen Shears Come-Apart by Gerior are awesome because they come apart! This makes them super easy to clean by hand or in the dishwasher.
If you haven’t heard of Gerior before, they are a very well known German brand with a great reputation that focuses on shears and knives.
Gerior products also come with a lifetime replacement guarantee!
Best Spring Loaded Kitchen Shears for Cutting Chicken
If you aren’t the strongest person (like me), these spring loaded kitchen shears make cutting chicken a breeze – even cutting out the backbone to butterfly it!
Also by Gerior, these spring loaded kitchen shears come with a lifetime warranty.
Like their counterpart, these spring loaded kitchen shears some apart for easy cleaning.
Picking the Best Kitchen Shears for Cutting Chicken
The best shears depend on your budget and your strength. If you are on a strict budget, then the KitchenAid shears are your best bet.
If you need a little help like me, then the Gerior spring loaded kitchen shears are the right ones for you.
If you’re strong enough and have the budget, then the Gerior take apart shears are the best all around shears for everything.
How to Cut a Chicken
Do you need some help learning how to cut chicken? Here are some great videos on YouTube:
- How to Cut a Whole Chicken
- How to Spatchcook a Chicken (Cut out the backbone so it is flat, or butterfly the chicken)
Food Safety Tips for Cutting Chicken
Whenever you are handling raw food, it is important to make sure you are following proper food safety protocols. Especially with chicken.
Be sure to check out some food safety tips for cutting chicken from the National Poultry Council.
Here are some of the things I do when handling chicken:
- Wash my hands with soap and hot water before and after handling chicken
- Use a cutting board for the chicken, which I then wash and run through the dishwasher on a sanitize cycle
- Always wipe down the work area (even though I used a cutting board) with Lysol Wipes.
- Never touch anything else in the kitchen after I have touched raw chicken until I have washed my hands.
Do you have any other tips for handling raw chicken? Be sure to leave them in the comments!