There are many different ways to cook Italian sausage. Some of my favorite are pan frying or grilling, but the easiest way by far to cook your Italian sausage in the oven.
We are going to take a look at why this works, and how to do it.
What You Need to Know About Cooking Italian Sausage
There are a couple things you should know about before you start cooking your Italian sausage.
First and foremost, Italian sausage is greasy. Some people don't mind this, but other seek to reduce the grease in their food which is find too.
This is because Italian sausage is made with a mixture of ground pork and spices, and a component of the ground pork is fat. That's what makes it so good!
Because of this, cooking your Italian sausage in the oven is one of the easiest ways to prepare it.
You don't need to worry about grease splattering from your frying pan, and you don't need to worry about your grill flaring up.
How to Cook Italian Sausage in the Oven
Cooking Italian sausage in the oven is simple!
Here's what you need to do:
- Preheat your oven to 375.
- Put the sausages on a pan. A broiler pan is great because it allows the grease to drip through. Other good choices are a 13 x 9 baking pan or a sheet pan. If you use one of these, line your pan with crinkled aluminum foil for easy cleanup and to trap some of the grease.
- Bake your sausages for 20 minutes, then rotate.
- Bake for another 20 minutes, then check the internal temperature. If the sausages have not reached 165 F, continue cooking. Time will vary based on the size of your sausages.
If your sausages are not brown enough for you, but are cooked, you can broil them to add some great delicious color.
Tips for Broiling Sausages
As I mentioned before, sausage is greasy! That means it tends to flare up while broiling.
Here are a couple of tips for broiling sausages in the oven:
- Do not put your sausages on the highest rack in your oven, put them on a rack in the middle.
- Broil on low or medium, not high. While high will get you the most color the fastest, you won't be able to avoid flare ups!
Thats really all there is to it! You could even broil your sausages to give them a nice color before you bake them.
Great Recipes for Italian Sausage in the Oven
Italian sausages are often served with peppers and onions. You can sauté the vegetables together, then add them to your sausages and serve.
Here are some great recipes for Italian sausage in your oven that go beyond just sausage.
- ROASTED ITALIAN SAUSAGE WITH ONIONS AND VEGETABLES
This recipe is a great one pan dinner.
- Baked Sausages with Apples Sheet Pan Dinner
If you are looking for a different type of sausage recipe, be sure to take a look at this one.
- ROASTED SAUSAGES WITH PEPPERS AND ONIONS SHEET PAN DINNER
This is a sheet pan twist on one of the most classic Italian dishes.
- ONE PAN ROASTED POTATOES, SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS
Another sheet pan version of an Italian classic.
- Roast Sausage and Fennel with Orange
A very different sausage recipe if you want to try something new.
Baking sausage in the oven is one of the easiest ways to make Italian sausage. Instead of slaving over a grill or stove, you just need to flip your sausage to make sure it is nice and brown.
You can also add other things to your sausage while baking to make it an easy one pan dinner, be sure to check out the recipes above!
Leave a Reply