If your child is into trains, you surely have considered getting them a train table. A train table for your toddler is a great way to well, contain the trains and give them a place to build creative track layouts.
Read on for detailed reviews of the best train tables out there, and considerations when picking the best train table for your child.
Best Toddler Train Tables
There are a couple of things to really think about when picking the best train table for your toddler:
- Size. How big is the train table?
- Storage. Does the train table come with built in storage? Can you put bins underneath it?
- Other features. What other features does the train table come with? What color is the play surface?
The best thing about each and every train table we looked at for your toddler is that they can all double as an activity table once the trains are put away. Many of these train tables also have storage options to make these train tables also activity tables.
When reviewing these train tables, I made sure to pick one from every major brand. One theme you will notice is that I did not chose any train tables that came with train sets, since we already had plenty when I purchased our train table.
Now, let’s take a look at some train tables for children.
Melissa and Doug Train Table
- Assembled Dimensions: Overall - 16" x 24.0" x 55" Play Table - 17.75" x 33" x 50" | Weight: 59.8 lbs
- Jumbo drawer for maximum storage: Our multi-activity play table contains a jumbo drawer that helps to store games, train tracks, puzzle pieces, art supplies, and more in a convenient storage area.
- Multi-use play table: The Melissa & doug deluxe wooden multi-activity play table is ideal for train sets, arts and crafts, dollhouses, block play, puzzles, and more. It is big enough for multiple kids to play at once and low enough for easy access.
Melissa and Doug makes high quality wooden toys for children. I have many many Melissa and Doug toys at my house.
This Melissa and Doug train table looks like a great train table, but I personally am not a fan of the closed fronts with one small draw, since it did not have enough room for our collection. At more than four feet wide (50 inches), using the space under it is a must.
If this does not bother you, this is a fantastic choice as Melissa and Doug toys are very well constructed, and never disappoint.
Amazon Basics Train Table
- Kids' play table for multiple activities
- Use for art activities, blocks, puzzles, train sets, and much more
- Perimeter lip and recessed table top keeps small objects from rolling off
This table is very similar to the Melissa and Doug train table, but has a natural wood finish. It is a great choice if white isn’t really your thing when it comes to your personal taste in decor.
Like the Melissa and Doug train table, it does have a few storage draws, but the support legs are in the front, which don’t provide the most usable storage underneath the table.
If built in drawers are a must, the Melissa and Doug (White) or Amazon Basics (Wood) are the choice for you.
KidKraft Train Table
- 195 building bricks
- Rounded corners for safety
- 2-Sided play surface
If space is a big concern of yours, you may want to lean towards the KidKraft table for a number of reasons.
First, the table top flips over, and provides a lego surface in addition to a train surface. There is an additional service with painted scenes to aid in building train tracks.
There is also a ton of storage underneath the table top, and under the table itself. Under the table is accessible from all angles.
At 25 inches wide, it is the smallest of the train tables reviewed here.
Brio Train Table
- Product includes - BRIO play table made from solid wood with rounded corners, 4 feet by 2. 5 feet by 18 inches in height.
- Perfect for the creative toddler - help your budding train engineer improve their train set experience. Designed for children ages 3 and up.
- High quality - the play table is made from solid wood, is easy to assemble, and is sanded smooth with rounded corners and finished with multiple coats of non-toxic lacquer paint for a Chip resistant, Vibrant finish.
While this is a pricer option, this is the table I chose for us for a number of reasons. First, of all, I loved that the top had green grass and blue water.
Next, see how the supports are on the side? That means you can fit many many storage bins underneath the table that are accessible from the front or rear, there is no wasted space.
Since this is a very large table at four feet wide, making the most out of the space it takes up is an absolute must.
Finally, I had hoped that if Brio’s trains were durable, then their table was too. I have not been disappointed and it has worn extremely well.
Hape Train Table
- Features a storage and a play top area
- Encourages imaginative play and creativity in little ones
- Fully compatible with popular train products and Systems
This Hape Train table was not available when I purchased mine, otherwise it would have been a serious contender.
Not only does it have two different choices for a painted top, with one view even containing roads, the table top is in three pieces, which means you can take one or two off, for two levels of play.
The three pieces of table top remove for storage as well, which has built in tunnels so you can come up with the most creative designs.
At three feet wide, it is also a good choice if you are concerned about space.
This is the train table I wish I had! I have a few Hape train sets, and I have been very impressed with their quality, which is right up there with Brio.
Picking the Best Toddler Train Table
Picking the best toddler train table is no small feat. It is an investment in both price, as well as decor. This train table is going to become a part of your living space!
Let’s take a look at these train tables one more time:
Be sure to pay special attention to the width of these toddler train tables when making your choice!
Last update on 2021-05-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API