Whether you’re a professional chef or a cooking enthusiast, you need to add a high-quality utility knife to your utensils arsenal. A utility knife is a versatile knife that can be used for various purposes.
The best kitchen utility knives come with thin blades. Due to their compact sizes, they’re suitable for most tasks that other bigger knives can’t tackle. In this article, we’ll share our top picks and tell you how to pick the right utility knife.
Best Kitchen Utility Knives
Utility knives are used when precise cuts are needed for various purposes, and come with a number of different features.
As a rule of thumb, you can expect most pricy knives to last longer than their cheaper counterparts, so that is something to consider.
Here are our top picks.
Mercer Culinary M23306 Millennia 6-Inch Utility Knife
- Ergonomic handle – a combination of Santoprene for comfort and polypropylene for durability
- Textured finger points provide slip resistance, grip, and safety
- Protective finger guard
Most users love this utility knife from Mercer Culinary thanks to its practical 6-inch blade. It’s quite affordable and features an ergonomic handle made of santoprene and polypropylene for comfort and durability so you can use it for long periods.
Safety is guaranteed thanks to the finger guard and the textured finger points that prevent the knife from slipping. The blade is made of high-quality one-piece stain-free Japanese steel that withstands heavy-duty easy. It’s also easy to maintain.
This utility knife is NSF certified and can cut through bread, meat, and other types of food. However, regular maintenance is required to keep the blade in excellent shape. You should be careful while cleaning the knife because the sharp edge extends beyond the handle.
What We Like
- A 6-inch blade that can handle various tasks.
- Ergonomic and durable handle.
- Finger guard and textured finger points to prevent slipping.
- High-quality stain-free steel blade.
What We Don’t Like
- Regular maintenance is needed.
- Blade can cut your hand while cleaning the knife.
Wusthof Classic 4 1/2-Inch Utility Knife
- Blade measures 4-1/2" ; Full knife (including blade and handles) Measures approximately 10” by .8/9 by .3/5 inches
- Precision forged from a single piece of high-carbon stainless steel
- Full-tang, triple-riveted synthetic handle affords superior strength and balance
At a higher price, comes this remarkable utility knife from Wusthof. The blade measures 4.5 inches so it’s an excellent choice for precision jobs that a chef knife won’t be able to handle.
The blade is precision-forged from a single piece of high-carbon stainless steel so it doesn’t break or bend with repeated use. The full tang handle is triple-riveted for maximum control. It adds balance and strength to your movement while using the knife for the most precise results.
This knife is dishwasher safe, although hand washing is recommended to maintain the condition of the blade. The sharp point allows you to handle small cutting cores with great accuracy so it’s an excellent choice for deboning chicken and trimming meat.
If you have very big hands, this knife might not be comfortable to use at 4.5 inches in size. The good news is Wusthof makes a number of bigger knives as well.
What We Like
- High-carbon stainless steel blade.
- Full tang triple-riveted handle for more control.
- Sharp point for accurate cutting chores.
- Feels balanced in the hand.
What We Don’t Like
- While it is dishwasher safe, you may want to hand wash it for longevity.
- Feels too small if you have big hands.
Utility Knife – PAUDIN 5 inch Chef Knife
- ALL-PURPOSE KITCHEN KNIFE: This petty small knife is a multipurpose kitchen knife. This utility knife is nimble enough for almost all kinds of slicing dicing and mincing, easily to re-sharpen, clean and maintain. It truly is an ideal Gift for any Home or Professional Cook.
- HIGH-QUALITY: This classic utility knife is made from high-quality German stainless steel. And the cutting core reaches at 56+ Rockwell Hardness. And the sharp blade will allow you to cut your food effortlessly for a long time, and the knife is finely honed for long-lasting sharpness.
- ERGONOMIC PAKKAWOOD HANDLE: The blade of this kitchen knife is integrated with the soft and comfortable handle, creating the perfect grip; The ergonomics shape enables the right balance between the handle and the thin blade, ensuring ease of movement.
This utility knife from Paudin comes at a decent price. It’s a multipurpose knife for all slicing, cutting, chopping, and deboning purposes. You can easily re-sharpen, clean, and maintain it so it will last for a long time.
The blade is made of German stainless steel and is finely honed to guarantee sharpness for a long time. It’s also treated to resist rusting. The blade is integrated with the ergonomic handle and together they blend to provide the best grip that gives you control over various cutting chores.
Moving the knife is easy due to the balance of the blade and the handle. It doesn’t strain your hand if you use it for a long period. Moreover, it attracts attention with the elegant pattern that doesn’t get affected with regular use or cleaning.
However, you should avoid putting this knife in the dishwasherto maintain its blade. It might feel a little slippery, especially if you have wet hands or have been using oil before holding it because the handle feels so smooth.
What We Like
- German stainless steel blade.
- Blade is fully integrated with the handle.
- Balanced design that doesn’t strain your hand.
- Elegant pattern.
What We Don’t Like
- Handle feels slippery.
- Not dishwasher safe.
OXO Good Grips Pro 5″ Serrated Utility Knife
- Serrated Utility Knife easily slices tomatoes and citrus without crushing the delicate fruit
- Fully forged blade, bolster and tang for superior balance, strength and durability
- German stainless steel with high carbon content for lasting sharpness and edge retention
This serrated utility knife from OXO is the best choice for cutting and slicing tomatoes and other soft fruit and veggies without crushing the body. It’s an excellent preparation knife that comes at a good price.
The blade, bolster, and tang are fully forged for maximum balance and comfort while using the knife for various chores. It also guarantees that the blade won’t accidentally break if you try to tackle something more challenging.
With a contoured handle, you can easily hold and maneuver this knife from the most precise cutting chores. The curved bolster supports the thumb and finger while cutting to prevent accidental cuts. The handle doesn’t slip even if your hands are wet or covered in oil.
Due to the design of the blade, this knife isn’t an excellent choice for deboning but it can be used for fine slicing. It tends to lose its sharpness in a few weeks, so regular sharpening is recommended.
What We Like
- Serrated blade for slicing and cutting.
- Fully forged blade, bolster, and tang.
- Contoured handle that doesn’t slip.
- Curved bolster to protect the fingers.
What We Don’t Like
- Not suitable for deboning and other precise chores.
- Tends to lose its sharpness.
DALSTRONG Utility Knife
- A Dalstrong culinary revolution combining outstanding and award-winning craftsmanship, cutting-edge breakthrough technology, awe-inspiring design, and the absolute best materials available. Peak performance never looked so good to you or your wallet.
- Unrivaled Performance: Ruthlessly sharp scalpel like edge is hand finished to a mirror polish within a staggering 8-12°degree angle per side using the traditional 3-step Honbazuke method. Nitrogen cooled for enhanced harness, flexibility and corrosion resistance. Full tang for superb robustness and triple riveted for even more resilience.
- Dalstrong Power: An ultra sharp AUS-10V Japanese super steel cutting core at 62+ Rockwell hardness for extraordinary performance and incredible edge retention is painstakingly sandwiched between 66 layers of premium high-carbon stainless steel, ensuring exceptional strength, durability and stain resistance. Perfectly balanced, the precisely tapered blade minimizes surface resistance for buttery smooth cut through and enhanced non-stick properties.
The blade of this Dalstrong utility knife features a scalpel-like edge that is hand-finished to mirror-polish. The traditional 3-step Honbazuke method is used to keep the blade sharp and practical to use.
It’s nitrogen cooled for enhanced flexibility and corrosion-resistance. The blade is made of 67 layers of premium high-quality Japanese stainless steel. It’s durable and stain-resistant so you can use it to cut fruit, vegetables, and various kinds of meat.
Having a tapered blade means that you won’t face much resistance while slicing and cutting. It also increases non-stick properties. The 6-inch blade cuts smoothly through different types of food so it minimizes the preparation time.
Moreover, the durable handle feels balanced and doesn’t strain your hand. The knife comes with a polymer sheath that protects the blade so it’s an excellent choice for outdoor cooking.
This knife is more expensive than other models. It features an engraved logo on the blade and the handle which looks nice but leaves room for food particles and debris to accumulate.
What We Like
- Blade is nitrogen cooled for enhanced sharpness.
- High-quality Japanese stainless steel.
- Tapered blade to minimize resistance while slicing.
- Ergonomic design for more control.
What We Don’t Like
- Expensive model.
- Engraved logo leaves room for debris to accumulate.
What is a Utility Knife?
This is a general multipurpose knife that can be used for various cutting, slicing, chopping, and deboning tasks. The blade measures anything between 4 and 7 inches so it’s smaller than a Chef Knife but larger than a Paring Knife.
Most people use utility knives to cut sandwichesbecause they maintain the condition of the bread or toast and the filling. The edge can be plain or serrated.
How to Choose the Best Kitchen Utility Knives
There are lots of good kitchen utility knives on the market, so choosing the right one can be a bit confusing. Here are a few factors to think about before buying one.
Without a sharp blade, your knife will be useless. This is why you need to make sure that the blade is made of high-quality materials. High-carbon stainless steel is a good choice because it doesn’t rust.
Having a tapered or a pointy end is a plus if you want to use your knife for deboning or removing the skin. If the end is wide, the knife will be suitable for slicing and cutting.
The design and weight of the handle determine how easy and practical the knife will be. The blade and handle should be forged and secured together to give you more control while holding and using the knife. Some handles are too smooth so you should pay attention while using them, especially if your hands are wet.
Safety is a major concern when you’re working with a knife. Your utility knife should have some mechanism that protects the fingers while cutting and slicing.
Some knives also have textured handles. They provide a better grip and prevent the knife from sliding while you’re using it.
The Best Kitchen Utility Knife
Although shopping for a new knife can be a little difficult because there are too many options, we chose the Mercer Culinary M23306 Millennia 6-Inch Utility Knife as our top pick. The 6-inch blade is made of high-quality steel so it can help you finish all your cooking chores and the ergonomic handle is designed to resist slipping.
The only issue with this knife is that when it comes to knives, you get what you pay for. If you buy a less expensive knife, expect to replace it in a few years. In fact, I have gotten into the habit of doing this, and buying new knives when they break or wear out for some cases.
In other cases, I have splurged now and gotten a great return. I have had some of my Wusthof knives for over a decade.
If you’re looking for the best kitchen utility knives, this guide has you covered no matter what your requirements are. These are practical knives that will help you take your cooking game to the next level.
Last update on 2019-11-13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API