There's an ever-expanding array of water bottles to choose from, from plastic to aluminum. Water bottles made of copper are dominating the market as of late. This is primarily because of their extremely potent antibacterial properties.
In this post, we're going to discuss everything you need to know about these awesome vessels. We’ve also included a step-by-step process on how to clean copper bottles!
What Makes Copper Bottles Different From Regular Water Bottles?
Copper has been used for medicinal purposes for thousands of years, dating all the way back to ancient Egypt. Back then, they used this mineral to disinfect surgical tools and wounds. Today, scientists estimate that we need about 1.2 milligrams of copper daily to effectively aid enzymes to transfer energy into our cells.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states that copper water bottles are the first and possibly only solid surface material that can naturally kill bacteria found in water. This authorization was achieved through strict testing under EPA-approved protocols.
They found that more than 99% of certain bacteria are killed at room temperature within less than three hours, even after repeated contamination.
The Real Benefits of Copper Bottles
Multiple companies claim that utilizing water bottles can improve your heart and brain health, along with anti-aging and weight loss. They say that storing water in copper containers allows trace elements to infuse into the liquid. This, in turn, transfers some of its health benefits to the liquid.
However, according to reputable medical sources, these claims aren’t backed by science. "It’s unlikely that copper water provides these health effects." Ariane Lang, the co-owner of Workplace Balance, wrote. She says that these benefits merely state copper’s roles and functions in the body, rather than the benefits given directly by the bottle itself.
Regardless, the anti-microbial properties found in copper bottles aren't a myth. Other than killing microorganisms present in the water, here are some real benefits that come from using copper water bottles:
- Gets rid of potential mold growth, fungi, and algae
- Prevents water-borne diseases
- Neutralizes toxins present in the water
- Helps the digestive system perform better
It's recommended to leave the water in the copper bottle for at least three hours to effectively purify the water. Leave it overnight, if possible.
Important Factors to Consider Before Using Copper Bottles
Before we proceed with cleaning, here are some important things to note when using a copper vessel:
- Only use it to store plain water. Citrus drinks, juices, and hot beverages should not be added.
- Use it for three months at a time, with a month of rest in between. Although the risk of copper poisoning is extremely low, we can't always guarantee its safety.
- Consult your medical practitioner if you're suffering from Wilson’s disease, Menkes disease, occipital horn syndrome, and other copper transport disorders.
- Beware of bad manufacturers and sellers, as they may sell adulterated copper or mix in unknown chemicals that might be bad for your health.
4 Ways to Clean and Take Care of Copper Bottles
While copper water vessels are less prone to biofilm build-up, cleaning your water every day is imperative to prevent cross-contamination and, well, to keep them super shiny! Here are some of our top tips on cleaning copper bottles.
1. Lemon and Salt
A lemon's antibacterial and antiseptic properties make it a terrific cleaning agent. Paired with good ol' sodium chloride, and you have a natural, abrasive cleaner that can tackle bacteria, grime, and stains with ease.
All you'll need to do is to slice a lemon in half and dip it into salt. Rub the juicy half over the vessel. While doing so, gently squeezing it so it'll mix with the salt you've added. The salt will act as the scrubber while the lemon disinfects the outer bottle.
Cleaning the inside of the bottle is super easy, as well. Squeeze half a lemon directly into the bottle's mouth, along with a tablespoon of salt and half a cup of water. Then, vigorously shake for about a minute or two. Pour the mixture out and rinse it with plain water or with mild dish liquid.
2. Salt, Vinegar, and Flour
Vinegar is another natural non-toxic cleaning agent that works well for cleaning water bottles.
Place about a tablespoon of salt in a cup of white vinegar. Gradually add flour until you make a paste and thoroughly mix the mixture together.
Then, use a soft cloth to rub the paste on the surface of your copper bottle, and buff it until it shines. Do the same inside the copper bottle. If your hand doesn't fit, use a dish brush.
You're probably scrunching your nose in disgust. Ketchup? Yuck! But surprisingly, ketchup is quite effective when it comes to cleaning grime off of copper bottles due to its acidic nature.
Rub a thin layer of ketchup on the surface of the bottle, leave it for a few minutes, and buff with a soft sponge or a nylon pad until it shines. Do the same inside the bottle, but add a bit of water to make it easier to clean with a dish brush or sponge.
For extra shine, polish the outside of the bottle with a cloth soaked in olive oil after rinsing.
4. Baking Soda
You're probably not surprised to see baking soda on this list. After all, it has a mildly alkaline nature that causes dirt, stains, grease, and oxidized patina from the copper to dissolve easily.
Mix the baking soda with white vinegar until you achieve a paste-like consistency. Then, rub the mixture onto the copper bottle using your hands or an old toothbrush. Let it sit for about half an hour before rinsing, drying, and buffing with a cloth.
If you don't have vinegar, lemon works just as well.
How to Clean Copper Bottles (The Ultimate Guide)
Exposure to water and air for long periods of time can cause copper to discolor and/or tarnish. This is why it's important to clean your copper water bottles at least once every two months or so, or until you notice a noticeable lack of shine in the outer vessel.
Last update on 2022-08-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Leave a Reply