Outdoor grilling isn’t always feasible, especially for grilling enthusiasts that are limited to the allowances and confines of apartment living. However, grilling in an apartment or on an apartment balcony is possible if you know which grill to buy. If you are lucky to have a balcony at your apartment, we have also found some great balcony grills for the apartment. In this guide, we take a look at some of the best grills on the market that are perfect for apartment use, so you may want to stick around.
Best Apartment Grills
Now, let’s take a look at each grill. Each of these grills can be balcony grills for your apartment, and some can only be used outdoors based on their fuel type. There is a grill for every apartment in this guide!
- 15+ Servings - It’s tailgate time! The 240 square inches of circular grilling surface lets you make over 15 servings for large groups of people
- George Tough Nonstick Coating - There’s a lot to love about this nonstick coating; it’s durable, easy to clean, and removes the need for butter and oil
- Indoor/Outdoor Removable Stand - Don’t let the weather keep you from the glory of grilling; the easy-to-remove stand takes you from patio to countertop in no time
Since its inception in 1994, Goerge Foreman has been one of the most prominent names in the grilling industry and have sold over 100 million grilling units worldwide, which is a testament to the quality of their products since it’s a company that hasn’t been around as long as others such as Weber, which was founded back in 1893.
Goerge Foreman 15-Serving Electric grill is an apartment-approved unit that features an electric system of operation, meaning that you won’t need to use gas, propane, or charcoal. Having an electric grill is highly convenient for people that live in apartments because there are zero flare-ups or fire hazards, which is mainly the reason why grilling isn’t allowed in some complexes.
The overall dimensions of this grill without the stand are 20 x 19.5 x 11 and it weighs around 7 pounds, making it one of the most compact units on the market. And not only is it compact, but it’s also capable of providing up to 15 servings, which is quite impressive for an electric grill. We’re also quite fond of the high-quality construction and the sleek design that this grill has to offer.
The low-profile stand that’s attached to the bottom of this grill allows for elevated use, which is highly convenient for use on countertop surfaces. Further, the stand is removable, meaning you switch from the patio to the countertop with ease. Lastly, the grill boasts adjustable temperature control which allows you to choose between 5 different heat settings for optimal results.
- Compact and lightweight construction
- Offers adjustable temperature control
- Zero risks of flare-ups or fire hazards
- Can accommodate up to 15 servings
- Extremely easy to use and care for
- The unit features plastic components
- The control dial has a subpar design
Weber 10020 Smokey Joe is a small and portable grill that you can fit almost anywhere. Since this is a charcoal grill, though, you should only use it in your apartment’s balcony. The dimensions of this grill are 17 x 14.2 x 14.5 inches, which is large enough to accommodate up to 5 burgers made with Weber’s burger press, making this an ideal grill for couples and small families.
The design of this grilling unit is simply fantastic. It’s extremely compact and lightweight at about 9 pounds, so you’ll be able to grill on the go with ease. Despite its lightness, this grill manages to remain remarkably sturdy, so you don’t have to worry about it collapsing after being knocked a few times. It’s also amazing how such a small unit can grill just about anything.
The 10020 Smokey Joe is also equipped with a porcelain-enameled lid and bowl that offer great heat-retaining capabilities and you won’t have to worry about it peeling or rusting over time. In addition, the unit features a highly durable plated steel cooking grate that does an excellent job of retaining heat as well. Not only that, but it’s extremely easy to clean too.
This grill also features aluminum dampers that are completely resistant to rust and a lid handle for convenience. The best thing about this Weber grill is its affordable price. You can literally buy this unit on any budget. Weber 10020 Smokey Joe is an ideal grill for ventilated enclosures and balconies. It’s also a perfect grill for parties and afternoon picnics.
- Extremely compact and lightweight
- Features high-quality construction
- Can accommodate up to 5 burgers
- Great for grilling just about anything
- It’s highly affordable on any budget
- The grilling rack is lacking a handle
- The vents are inconveniently placed
- 240 Square inch cooking area and built to travel
- Sturdy legs for stability on a Table or the ground, carrying handles for easy transport
- Lid-mounted temperature gauge, painted porcelain body
When most people think about buying a new grill, the name Char-Broil is usually the first name to come to mind, thanks to their impressive catalog of high-quality cookware. This grill measures at 24.8 x 15.2 x 13.3 inches and it weighs around 28 pounds, which isn’t as lightweight as other units on this list, but definitely a lot more commodious in terms of cooking area.
This Char-Broil gas grill boasts the Piezo ignition system, which is one of the fastest and most reliable ignition systems out there. All you really need to do is push a single button and the grill will start up right away. The unit relies on propane as its fuel source. Keep in mind that it’s only compatible with 1-pound propane tanks. The tanks are connected to the side of the unit.
Now, this may not be the lightest grilling unit on our list in terms of weight, but it’s definitely one of the easiest to carry around, thanks to the equipped carry handles. Further, the weight of this unit, coupled with its 4 sturdy legs, allows for remarkable stability on any surface, be it a table or the ground. We can definitely see this as a grill that would be perfect for tailgate parties.
One of the best attributes of this unit is that it’s equipped with a lid-mounted temperature gauge that allows you to monitor the heat and control it accordingly to obtain optimal results. We feel the need to stress that this unit runs on liquid propane, which is different from just propane. All in all, this is a truly impressive grill to have in your complex’s balcony.
- Features a capacious cooking surface
- Has carry handles for ease of carrying
- Equipped with a reliable ignition system
- One of the most stable grills on our list
- Has a lid-mounted temperature gauge
- Requires a dedicated place for it to sit
- Not easy to carry due to its hefty weight
- 160-SQUARE-INCH PORCELAIN ENAMELED COOKING GRATE: 160-square-inches of porcelain enameled grates give you a spacious cooking surface is able accommodate lots of food at one time while still distributing heat evenly and efficiently.
- 5, 500 BTU BURNER: Features a 5, 500 BTU burner, a twist to start electric ignition and precision temperature gauge to give you the ultimate temperature control.
- COMPACT ENOUGH TO TAKE ANYWHERE: The grill measures 19 x 11. 5 x 10 inches and with stand. The grill weighs only 17 lbs. , making it easy for transport and ideal for decks, patios and balconies, camping, tailgating and more.
CGG-180 from Cuisinart is one of the best-selling portable grills on the market, and for a bunch of good reasons. It boasts 160 square inches worth of cooking area that can accommodate a lot of food. The porcelain-enameled grate allows for even heat distribution across the entire surface of the grill for optimal cooking results. It’s perfect for serving 4 to 6 people at once.
The unit is equipped with a twist-to-start electronic ignition system and a temperature gauge that allows for easy heat monitoring and control. Another thing we like about this grill is that it’s very compact, measuring at 19 x 11.5 x 10 inches. However, it’s not really the lightest unit on our list as it weighs around 17 pounds, which isn’t very heavy but isn’t very light either.
The thing that makes this grill stand out is its ability to be used as a freestanding or a tabletop grill, thanks to its unique design. It’s great for smaller spaces like small patios and decks, which is why it’s perfect for apartments. It’s also pretty energy-efficient due to its small size. Lastly, this unit is super easy to set up, and you’ll find it even easier to clean and care for it.
- Used as a tabletop or freestanding grill
- Offers great a cooking area for its size
- Features a twist-to-start ignition system
- It’s equipped with a temperature gauge
- Very easy to set up, clean, and care for
- It gets very hot directly over the burners
- Not easy to carry around due to its weight
- LOCKS IN JUICES AND FLAVORS: Sear at 450 degrees or use adjustable temperature dial to grill at lower heat for optimal grilling results
- ENJOY GRILLING ALL YEAR LONG: This indoor grill with hood has a high searing heat that locks in juices and flavors, and lid closes to give you signature grill marks; serves up to 6 with 118 square inch grilling surface
- EASY TO CLEAN: Indoor grill hood, plate, and extra large drip tray are all removable and dishwasher safe
This is yet another remarkable electric grill that would be perfect in your apartment. It boasts a high searing heat of 450 degrees that allows it to lock in flavors and juices, providing you with a very tasty meal. The grilling surface spans 118 square inches, which is enough to accommodate up to 6 people. Closing the lid will give you those grill marks everyone loves.
The dimensions of this unit are 12.4 x 16.7 x 6.8 inches and it weighs around 8 pounds, making it one of the easiest grills on our list to carry around. Thanks to its compact design, you can fit it almost anywhere in your apartment. And considering that this is an electric grill, you don’t have to worry about flare-ups, fire hazards, or squandering a lot of money on gas or charcoal.
The unit features power and preheat lights that help eliminate the guesswork while cooking. In addition, this is a unit that’s extremely easy to clean, as it features removable grids that you can just put in the dishwasher for easy cleaning. It also features adjustable temperature control for your convenience. The unit is backed by a 1-year limited warranty,
- Extremely compact and lightweight
- No risk of flare-ups or fire hazards
- Removable, dishwasher-safe grids
- Has adjustable temperature control
- Comes with a 1-year limited warranty
- A lot of plastic used in the construction
- It produces smoke every now and then
Things to Consider Before Buying a Small Grill for The Apartment
Before heading out to buy a new grill for apartment use, here are a few things that you should take into consideration to ensure getting the best bang for your buck.
How many people are you looking to serve at once? If you’re only cooking for yourself and your partner, then you don’t really need that much cooking space from a grill. However, if you’re used to having large barbecues at your place, it’s important that you invest in a grill that offers enough space for the number of people you’re going to cook for.
Another important thing to make sure of when buying a grill is that it features a non-stick surface to ensure easy cleaning and maintenance. Ideally, you want to be looking for grills that feature enamel-coated or porcelain-coated grates.
Placement and Portability
Would you like a grill that can be moved with ease or would you like one that requires dedicated space? While the goal of this article is to provide information about the best grills for apartment use, we’ve made sure that the products we’ve included are great for outdoor use as well.
Having a reliable temperature gauge built into your grill will allow you to monitor and control the grilling temperature with ease, allowing you to get the best cooking results. If the unit you’d like to buy doesn’t feature a temperature gauge, don’t sweat it, you can easily buy a separate gauge.
The Best Apartment Grills
There you have it, the market’s best grilling units for apartment use. Hopefully, the information we’ve provided today has helped you find a grill that suits both your needs and budget. Let us know which one of the above-mentioned products you think is the best.
Last update on 2020-02-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API